There are three ways to become disgraced:
- a character receives a poor result when putting down unrest as a Provincial Military Governor (see Appointments);
- a character is unable to pay debts when they are due; or
- a character fights a duel with a member of the same Military Unit or Guild.
A character who is disgrace must leave the city and go Adventuring Alone until:
- they become a hero (Sung by the Bards), if he/she was a Provincial Military Governor who failed to put down unrest;
- able to fully pay back debts, if unable to do so earlier; or
- one full game year passes from the time of the duel.